Thursday 8 December 2011

Angkor What?

After enjoying the laidback pace of Siem Reap for 2 days I thought it was about time to check out what everybody visits for; the Angkor Wat archeological park. I'd thoroughly visited the day-markets, and knew most bars by name on Pub-Street... Its temple time!

Like almost every morning this far, my day starts with some quality negotiation. After arriving on a price I was happy with, I had a driver and TukTuk to take me around the park for the day. Getting an early start, I didn't plan on eating lunch at a tourist restaurant in the park, so I packed along a few healthy snacks to boost my energy when I was feeling templed out: 1 mars bar, 1 roll of pb/choco swirl Oreos, and 1 water. Health-conscious, check.

We started out with some smaller temples, using alternate gates to avoid the tour-bus crammed main entrances. This technique worked great as I could hustle to the site, relax, take it all in, snap photos, and be gone by the time the crowds sauntered up. Most temples have been preserved and/or brought back to their previous glory, except for one that stood out to me (insert name here) where trees have grown through the giant bricks and foundations. To see the strength of the roots push entire walls aside and rearrange boulders makes one appreciate the length of time they have been around.

This sneaky approach was working well and we seemed to be staying one step ahead of the main crowds until we hit Angkor Thom. I was feeling thoroughly templed-out, and the hordes of tourists did not do anything to help the cause. I reminded myself 'you're only here once,' dug into the roll of Oreos (breakfast of champions) and started dissecting the massive complex of Angkor Thom.

Two benefits of being a solo traveler surrounded by tour groups: listening in on their tour guides is awfully easy, and the pack mentality often prevents them from branching out and exploring the harder to reach sights. It was this second fact that gave me the entire top of a temple to myself. Except for the Khmer woman offering prayers and incense for small donations. This video shows the blessing that I asked to be sent around the world to those friends needing it at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9HBRZikOQQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I wrapped my day with the piece de resistance, the main attraction, Angkor Wat. It's clear to see why this attraction is #(?) on the worlds wonders, and draws hundreds of thousands of visitors every year. The sheer size of the estate, the massive man-made moat, and the intricate details within all combine into a place where one can wander in awe for a long time. See the photo attached for an example of the wall carving detail.

One factor that does take away from the overall experience are the school aged children that sell tourist goods in the park. They are incessant in their approach, counting off their postcards, bracelets, etc 1 to 10... All for one dollar. Buying doesn't help their cause, but it sure is a guilt trip walking away as well.

Alex from England took a different approach and brought candy to the park to hand out instead of cash. This is what happens when you give 1 child a piece...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm9SjY7Td_0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No comments:

Post a Comment